First mention of a mill at "Roethembach" in 1311
The famous Nuremberg cartographer Paul Pfinzing drew his cards on Röthenbach paper.
The paper mill was built around 1490 and is one of the oldest paper mills in the area of Nuremberg. The Röthenbach mill should have been among the first 60 mills to produce paper in Germany. The owners often changed until Ludwig Rosenthal took over the mill in 1860. With a total of 30 workers, Rosenthal was at that time the largest employer in Röthenbach. Paper production was abandoned after the Second World War, after about 450 years.